Saturday, May 20, 2006

Professor Backward

Just a thought from a founding father...

There is danger from all men. The only maxim of a free government ought to be to trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty.
- John Adams

I like doing crossword puzzles. Hard ones. I used to do crosswords at breakfast, back when I had a real job and got the daily paper every morning. Back when I was somebody. To be more effecient, I would take spoon to cereal in right hand and pen to puzzle on the left. Writing with the "wrong" hand was an interesting exercise. Some letters, like N and S, I was prone to print in mirror image. Sometimes, just for grins, I would try to write the alphabet upside down with my left hand. (No, I didn't have way too much time on my hands. I worked with my hands and I liked to keep them and my brain busy.)

I recently memorized the alphabet in reverse order. I like to recite it silently on those nights I can't quite fall asleep.

I also like to knit in reverse instead of purling. I can purl just fine, thank you very much, but it is ever so much more interesting to not turn the work at the end of a row, but to knit back across from left to right.

Here's a photo of reverse knitting. Mechanically, it is a purl stitch worked from the back side. I'm working on a short row toe. Like writing with the non-dominant hand, it takes awhile to get comfortable.



Finally finished the blasted socks that I cast on going to Maryland. Finally. Socks don't usually take me this long, but I learned a new short row heel and toe technique (with wraps) and struggled an inordinate amount with that. Then knit the foot too short and had to rip back. Used the three-needle bind off at the toe. I think I should have grafted the seam, but dammit! they are done and I am happy. The yarn is Knit Picks dye-your-own sock weight that I dyed last fall.



The 2nd Annual Hoosier Hills Fiber Festival will be Saturday, June 3 in Franklin, Indiana. Lynne Oakes will be there with her yarns and patterns (and I will be there with my usual stuff, too. Knitting needles and bunny blends) And look to the sidebar to the left on this page for a link to the 2nd Annual Fall Fiber Festival and Market in Corydon, Indiana in October.

Oh, and here is a shot of dyed angora, alpaca and silk before blending. Pretty!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

the socks look great! you ARE the dye goddess ;)