Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Hand Made in Germany

I am still alive, although Sweetie says it was touch and go for a while. (Methinks he exaggerates.) 

It all started when accidentally swallowed an earring, an earring with a fish hook, with my evening meds. I thought it was just a pill caught sideways in my throat, or whatever, and I went to sleep. It was only the next morning that when missed the mate to said earring and put two and two together. Duh. It was my therapist, at our Wednesday 1 o'clock appointment, who insisted that I go to Urgent Care. Immediately.

It wasn't in my upper intestine. It wasn't in my stomach. It was hanging firmly in my esophagus, near where the neck meets the shoulder. I was sent directly to the hospital, and the earring was removed. And all was fine.

Until Saturday, when I began to feel tired and sick, and then Sunday I could barely swallow and I had a temperature. Find me in the emergency room Monday morning, and then find me admitted to the hospital to treat the infection caused by the endoscopy. (I had been sent home with no antibiotics and not much in the way of instruction.) Hello painkillers and antibiotics in the arm, goodbye blood from the other arm. 

Oh, and it gets better! My first night there, something crazy happened with my heart called afibrillation, which I understand is Not Good. I woke up in the Cardio Ward, with more meds and more bloodsucking. (I won't go into my "Night of Rebellion" episode, where I was ultimately confined to
torture device with a 'she's out of bed' alarm.)

I've been home a week now, and am feeling much better, thank you. My heart seems to have responded well to the meds, fever normal, blood sugar normal, and 5 more pounds have been lost since last post. And still not drinking.

Nothing tastes good and I feel like crap.

Friday, October 05, 2012

For Office Use Only.


I have lost 35 pounds since the first of the year. I have gotten my blood glucose to normal, as well as my blood pressure. The cholesterol levels will have to wait until my next blood sucking.

We will re-finance our mortgage this month, down to 3.25%, fixed. And our house is worth more than we owe on it. 

I finally took Corky the corgi to the vet, knowing that it would probably cost a bazillion dollars, but after three weeks he is looking and feeling so much better! He's on antibiotics and antifungals, plus stuff for the yeast infection in his ears. He also seems to have Cushing's Disease, which is chronic but treatable. 

My meds have been adjusted a little and I have been sleeping about 14 hours a day. Or more.

Oh, and I have quit drinking.

(If any one of you write to say how 'proud' you are of me, I'll smack you. Instead, just say that you are happy for me. Okay?)