Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Electronic Access Denied



In a conversation with Luna at the last Friendship Spinners meeting, I remarked about how I hate people. "No! You? Not possible!" she said.

Luna is interested in my Free Barn Loom that was in the last FS newsletter.

In an email to her, I stated that I had purchased the loom from a local couple about 5 years ago. I had great plans. That local couple had bought said loom twenty years earlier for $100. Here I was, giving it way. She joked that in ten years, she would be paying someone to take the thing away, considering how the value of it was going.

I really hope that she might be able to set it up to weave.

So I clarified my statement to say the I hate people in general, yet not so much in particular. "Oh yeah, I'm like that!" Ah ha!

I have a few friends that I care for very much. But there are so many more individuals out there that I would just as soon avoid. I do not want to know them. At all. The trick is to sort the chaff from the wheat.

Friendship Spinners contains both, I say in all honesty, but there is a greater percentage of the wheat in the mix. In my defunct store, I met much wheat. In my little community, I have met 95% chaff. Go away and leave me alone.

My point is that spinners are often self-described hermits who venture out maybe monthly to meet other hermits. To spin and commune.

Debra told me once about when her husband met many of us at a large get-together. He looked around and told her, in a half-joking way, that these folks were just like her and she was replaceable. Not so unique anymore, was she.

These people, these mostly women, are My Tribe.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Getting "our kind" together, when one can manage it, makes for such fun. I'm glad you send your sweet self out to cyber space for us. Even in our caves, we know we are not alone.

Nibbler

Knitting Linguist said...

It's important to have a Tribe -- I don't know what I'd do without mine!

Mouse said...

Well said. You're lucky to have a great group to venture out to!

HelenaHandbag said...

I'm with you, Babe -- the vast majority of the humans I run into hold absolutely no interest for me for numerous reasons. Always makes me wonder how in the world they live with themselves. Additionally, it reaffirms my happiness in being me.