Thursday, February 26, 2009

50% LESS FAT

So.

As I was carding bunny and sheep bits this afternoon, I considered what I might could blog about, concerning the fiber. (I really do not want this blog to be so much about the business. Boring.)

Firstly, when I write "mats," what I mean is the short bits of feet, belly, and tail wool of the bunny, plus the less than perfect bits. (I save it all, and sort it into categories.) Some bits are matted, and those I cut into small pieces. Once all of these so-called mats are run through the carder and mixed with a bit of sheep, they begin to look mighty fine.

The four categories I use in wool sorting are: best (3 inches or longer,) shorts (less than 3 Inches in length), combings, and mats.

I spun up some of the Lumpy Bunny and plied it with thread, and it is lovely! Soft and slightly textured. Nothing "matted" about it.

Doesn't matter! har har

I feel as though my life-force has returned lately and I am happy to be at work. I am happy to be doing what I am doing.

Spring is burgeoning.

5 comments:

Susan (and SmokeyBlue in spirit) said...

Yes, these milder days do produce a hopeful attitude along with the hopefulness of our new government.

Anonymous said...

I think it's the lengthening hours of daylight that does it, but whatever it is, I'll take it! I'm sick of winter and ready to feel better about life in general. And I do, generally. And I'm glad you do, too.
Nancy NeverSwept

shansays said...

Nancy, I like that you are blogging about the process. It's funny, now that I have my wheel back I feel like I am going from 0 to 90 with my interest in fiber prep. A friend of mine is buying a carder, and now I think I want one. Hah! I can't even make even yarn yet! But I'm getting there. Yesterday it was sunny and 50, so I took my spindle out for a walk. Tres relaxing.

I love the bunnies, they feel me with a sense of peace.

Knitting Linguist said...

Hooray for spring! And hooray for lovely fiber that spins up into beautiful yarn :) I just plied my first (small) batch of B&B, and I love it -- so beautiful...

zippiknits...sometimes said...

Welcome back to the living, and, ya, to the spinning.

Having a new government is truly helpful to the tattered and torn. Wow what a different world this is going to be to wake up to.