Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Stepping right into the thick of it...

Thank you, ItGirl, for this link.

I am conflicted about this issue. I think people should have at least a passing acquaintance with the bible, both the old and new testaments. I know my comprehension of art and literature would lack if I hadn't read it. (In my case, more than once, being raised the southern baptist that I was.) References to events and people in the bible are everywhere. (And if you must know, I was saved and baptized at the age of ten and at the age of twelve, I came to realize what a big bunch of crap the southern baptists were trying to teach and the harm they were doing in the process. Hello, mostly buddhist now.) I wish I could have been taught as thoroughly about the muslim, shinto, animalist, etc. religions, too.

The comparative religion class from my high school was definitely christ-centered. Mostly along the lines of - we (christians) good, them (everyone else) bad and going straight to hell in a handbasket.

If a comparative religion class could be taught, as an elective, without bias and proselytizing, it would be a good thing. But I seriously doubt that in Georgia or anywhere else in the States could that be done. Except maybe Hawaii.

1 comment:

Lynn Hanna said...

It was good of you to come and participate in the religion debate in person yesterday. Not blaming the good book directly but it seems to take many decades for bible-fed Americans to expand our awareness to the existence of other possibilities. If only publishers included a grain of salt with their Bible stories.