Sunday, May 24, 2009

Remember to use the code.







The knitting, she continues. Finished these earlier in the week and I am pleased. I particularly like the never-repeated striping sequence of the yarn, and I like the heel bit done in garter stitch. Wish I could remember what yarn this was.

It's funny how I can go for months without knitting socks, and then when I do pick up the little needles again, it becomes hard to not have a pair in progress all the time.

I searched my bookshelves and cast on this pattern from Interweave's 25 Favorite Socks, (Waving Lace Socks by Evelyn A. Clark,) with yarn I purchased at Troy from Earthly Hues. It is merino, bamboo, and nylon in the colorway Gutsy. The dye was derived from bamboo seedling; put up is 4 oz., 470 yards.





So I cast onto size 1 needles, as the pattern suggested and within the first few rows, I had an inkling that the gauge was way off. What, me swatch? I decided to cast on the other sock onto size 0s and am much happier. It amazes me what a difference one size can make. By the way, these aluminum needles came in a package that contained 4 sets of five needles in sizes 1, 0, 00, and 000. They are lightweight yet strong and made by Boye. I can recommend them.




6 comments:

Knitting Linguist said...

Ooh, that pattern is high on my list of socks to knit someday -- I can't wait to see how yours turn out! And I love the ones you just finished, the stripes are great fun :)

rabbitIng said...

just lovely - must find time to knit some socks!

HelenaHandbag said...

Beautimus, dahlingk.

Susan (and SmokeyBlue in spirit) said...

Wow I sure can see that gauge change. One needle size does make a big difference.

There is just something special about knitting a small item isn't there?

Valerie Polichar said...

Love the fraternal twin socks! I know exactly what you mean about having months of no socks on the needles, and then suddenly you feel compelled to have one going at all times. I think this is why I turn out socks in batches...

I have that same Boye set of aluminum sock needles. It's about the only way I can find 00 and 000s. Since I knit a bit on the loose side, I need the smaller sizes around the place. But the finish on these grabs the yarn a bit more than I prefer -- I would really love some Inox 00s and 000s. Alas, haven't tracked them down yet.

Grace Garton said...

Hi I just found you via Lady Euphoria's blog, And I'm already hooked on your posts!
We have a few things in common...knitting socks. cats and bunny's!
Looked through your other blog and just loved the photo's of the barns and farming landscapes...looks very simular to parts of Tasmania where I live.
cheers!!