Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Dinner Meeting Reminder



In the past, "with family" was where I never wanted to be for any holiday, because it always dredged up sadness, hurtful memories, feelings of loss, and tears.

But a friend told me that I should go and be with my family. The friend spoke dispassionately, as he had no idea what was in my head. I merely said that my brother had invited me up for Thanksgiving, and I wasn't sure if I would go or not. Go, he said.

So, I am heading to northern Indiana tomorrow, by myself, and will come home Friday afternoon. It's a five hour trip, one way. Sweetie will stay home to take care of the critters - and sleep. He has four days off, and will mostly likely stay in his jammies the entire time.

Speaking of critters, we lost another banty hen today, and almost lost a rooster. I heard him make his "warning" cackle, and I took off out the door and saw a strange dog carrying him off. I was sure he was dead, because when the dog dropped him, Roostie was motionless, face down in the grass. I picked him up, and lo! his eyes flickered open but he was panting, grasping for breath, and his comb and wattles were purple-ish. The offending dog, with collar, had high-tailed it out of there, so I carried the chicken inside where he panted and rasped for a good two hours. I think he must have been in shock, but his color gradually returned and his breathing became normal. He even ate a little bit.

Tonight, he and the remaining banty hen are cooped up. This weekend, I will try to put some netting over the enclosure to keep them in. Should have done it long ago.

Had court this morning, too, for the damages/back rent but the evil renter called at 8 am to ask if we could just settle and call it even. We did. It's over. That's all I can say. I'm not happy, but it is over.

I will return ship the windows Friday. I will have to pay shipping charges, and maybe a re-stocking fee, and I will have learned an eckpensive lesson. (My keyboard is screwy and will not make the letter ecks.)(The command key is also not working.)

Anyway.

Enjoy your holiday, folks, and be truly thankful.

3 comments:

k said...

I will be there for you in spirit, at least.

Helen said...

I'm so glad you're going to send the windows back. I meant to leave a comment - not that it's any of my business :) I hope you have a good time at your brother's, or at least better than you expect, and that you come home to the maximum number of critters. Happy Thanksgiving.

zippiknits...sometimes said...

I really hope that you enjoyed the holiday with you bro.

Renters can be very, very bad when they are bad. That just is sucky! And loose dogs.. what can I say? Little bantam roos will fight to the death for their mates. One of mine tangled with the wrong guy one day.... my psycho dad. Stupid useless man.. I understand about family hols. Oh, how I understand.. big hugs, Fuzzarelly..BIG ones..